The University of Hong Kong
Election of EIGHT Members to the Standing Committee
1. Nominations are invited for the election of eight members to the Standing Committee at the coming Ordinary General Meeting 2021 on 24 June 2021. Each elected member will serve on the Standing Committee for a term of three years until the Ordinary General Meeting in 2024.
2. Pursuant to Paragraph 26 of the Convocation Constitution, no person shall be elected member of the Standing Committee unless he/she has been a member of Convocation for not less than two years.
3. Pursuant to Paragraph 28 of the Convocation Constitution, a retiring member is eligible for re-election.
4. Paragraph 25(b) of the Convocation Constitution prohibits the Standing Committee from having more than four members who are also officers, teachers or other staff members or service providers in receipt of any salary, stipend, fee or any other form of remunerations from the University or any of its subsidiaries or other legal entities in which the University has management control or majority equity stakes.
5. Paragraph 33 of the Convocation Rules requires that each candidate must be nominated in writing by at least ten members entitled to vote.
6. The nomination shall be made by submitting the duly completed and signed original Nomination Form together with all accompanying documents listed in paragraph 7 below to the Clerk of Convocation c/o Convocation Secretariat, Hung Hing Ying Building, The University of Hong Kong, not later than 18:00, Monday, 24 May 2021 BY HAND.
7. All nominations shall be sent to the Clerk together with:
a) a statement by the candidate that he/she is willing to stand for election;
b) a brief biography of himself/herself, in English, of not more than 300 words highlighting any involvements in serving the University or any of the University's alumni bodies in the past 5 years; and
c) a copy of his/her photograph.
8. All nomination forms shall be clearly completed with the required information and bear the original signature of the nominators. Any nomination form sent by fax or by any other electronic means will not be accepted.
Acknowledgement and Verification
9. An Acknowledgement of Receipt of Nomination Form will be issued to the person(s) who submitted the nomination forms by hand. The nomination will only be valid upon verification. The Acknowledgement of Receipt shall not be taken as any indication or representation of the validity of nomination.
10. An email confirming the nomination will be sent to the nominee (at the email address provided in the Candidate’s Statement) within three working days upon receiving the complete set of nomination forms and the required documents.
11. If the nominee has not received the email confirmation after three working days, the nominee may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment with the Convocation Secretariat for checking the validity of his/her nomination.
12. Pursuant to Paragraph 35 of Convocation Rule, where there are as many or less candidates as the number of vacancies to be filled, the candidates will be declared to be elected ipso facto at the meeting at which election is to take place.
Ordinary General Meeting Notice and Election Information
Notice of the Ordinary General Meeting 2021 and details of the Election for Standing Committee Members will be sent to members by e-mail, on newspaper advertisements and via website posting on 31 May 2021.
For the effective operation of E-Voting, Members are requested to update their personal particulars at the Convocation website (http://www.convocation.hku.hk) for verification purpose.
Clerk of Convocation
3 May 2021
Convocation of The University of Hong Kong (香港大學畢業生議會 ) is a statutory body of the University comprising all graduates and teachers.